Karen's Chocolate Cherry Bars

I should let you know right up front:  these are to die for.  I got this recipe from a friend about 10 years ago, and every single time I make it for guests, I have a request for the recipe.  The chocolate-cherry combination will always be one of my favorites, but the hint of almond flavoring just does me in.

I decided to give myself a challenge:
Q.  Can this decadent dessert be made using pantry-friendly substitutions and still qualify as "to die for"? 
A.  Absolutely!

For this challenge, I tried powdered egg (which I've tried in baking before and loved) for the cake bars, and powdered butter and milk for the topping.  You could try other substitutions, too, depending on what you have.  I'll let you know what I used, what the original recipe calls for, and some other pantry-friendly substitution possibilities, too.

KAREN'S CHOCOLATE CHERRY BARS

PREP TIME:  15-20 minutes
COOK TIME:  20-25 minutes

INGREDIENTS
  • 1 box devils food cake mix*
  • 21-oz. can cherry pie filling
  • 1 tsp. almond extract
  • equivalent of 2 beaten eggs, reconstituted with water** (original recipe:  2 beaten eggs)
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 1/3 c. evaporated milk or reconstituted powdered milk*** (original recipe:  1/3 c. milk)
  • 5 Tbsp. powdered butter, reconstituted**** (original recipe:  5 Tbsp. butter)
  • 11.5-oz. package chocolate chips

DIRECTIONS
In a large mixing bowl, combine the cake mix, pie filling, extract, and eggs.  Stir until well-blended.  Spread in a greased 10x15 jelly roll pan and bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.  While the bars are baking, make the chocolate topping by combining sugar, milk, and butter in a medium saucepan over high heat, stirring constantly.  Bring to a boil.  Boil one minute, stirring constantly.  Remove from heat and stir in chocolate chips until smooth.  When done, remove the bars from the oven.  Pour the topping over.  Enjoy warm or cooled.

* If you don't have a box cake mix, you can use:  2 c. flour, 2 c. sugar, 1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa, 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
** I've had a lot of success using dried eggs in baking.  I get mine here, but you can also get them here.  Just follow the directions on the can to reconstitute.
*** I used Nido powdered milk, mixed with water as directed on the can.  You can see Nido here, but I just buy it in the Mexican section of my local grocery store.
**** I was really happy with the powdered butter!  I just followed the directions for mixing with water (and a little oil, optional) on the package.  You could use butter flavor Crisco if you prefer.

Try this recipe, then comment and let me know how you like it!  And Pin it to Pinterest to save and share using the image below.

To print this recipe, hit the "print" button below.  If you don't see the print button, scroll back up and click on the title of this blog post, then scroll back down and you'll find the button below.

6 comments:

  1. Looks yummy! Thanks so much for linking up with me at #AThemedLinkup 17 for Chocolate Desserts, open May 15 to 25. All party entries shared if social media buttons installed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They really are! Thanks, Dee. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Visiting again to say thanks so much for linking up at the Unlimited Link Party 97. Shared again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment and the share! Much appreciated.

      Delete
  4. CONGRATS Jennifer! Your post is FEATURED at the Unlimited Link Party 98!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, wonderful! This is a *divine* recipe to share! Thank you for featuring it.

      Delete